Coach applications being reviewed
A nine-member committee headed by Elbert Comprehensive High School Athletic Director Brian Turner will begin the task of recommending a football coach at the high school.
Nine-year veteran Head Coach Sid Fritts announced shortly after the conclusion of the football season in November he would not be returning for a tenth season.
According to Elbert County School Superintendent Chuck Bell, those selected from the school system for the committee are:
• Erica Wilson, a coach and PE teacher at the high school.
• Michelle Dye, assistant principal at the high school.
• Brad Brown, athletic director and PE teacher at the middle school.
• Jasper Huff, a middle school assistant principal.
Selected from the community to serve on the committee are:
• Greg Johnson, who runs the county’s recreation department.
• Kam McClary, a minister.
• Greg Gunter, an Elbert County businessman.
• Jason Ray, who is president-elect of the True Blue booster organization.
Bell said thus far the school system has received 52 applicants for the position.
In an interview before the committee’s members were announced, Bell said some of the applicants for the position didn’t meet the school board’s minimum requirements. The application deadline was Monday, Dec. 17. At that time Bell said the committee would be receiving the resumes of all the qualified candidates.
Bell said he wanted the committee to complete its work in time for the school board to make an announcement on the selection at the BOE’s regular monthly meeting on Monday, Jan. 28.
Bell said Turner would try to get a consensus among the committee members, but that Turner would make a final recommendation to the school superintendent and the superintendent would make a final recommendation to the board.